FC5 hangs for no detectable reason

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 08:28:39 UTC 2006

On 7/30/06, Thomas Fischer <tvfischer.l at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I recently upgraded my FC4 installation (last week to be precise) to
> FC5. I have installed all the updates for FC5. It is installed on a DELL
> Latitude c610.
>
> My problem is that after a given period of time - which varies, it can
> be 10 minutes or many hours. The system just hangs/freezes. I get no
> keyboard/mouse or screen response and I can't go into the console to
> check for a panic. No errors are shown in the logs.
>
> Since it really is random, I am unable to reproduce it. Can anyone give
> me some ideas on how I might capture an error condition to find out what
> is doing this?
>
> thanks
>

>    --t
>

> --

Hi Thomas!

Only some ideas:

1. Run a memtest on the machine.  I do not recall if FC5 has this on the
recovery disk but Knoppix, Ubuntu, and even Puppy (see www.distrowatch.com)
do.  Let the silly thing run overnight and watch it from time to time.  An
intermittent memory error can drive you crazy.

2.  I have started to Google your machine and FC5 (a good way to find
resources for problems like this) and found a happy c610 user :
http://www.nerdgirl.dk/linux/fc5/installation.php

3. Make sure to look not only at messages but also Xorg.0.log in /var/log
and also dmesg.  It might be good to use a live CD and look at the logs
without running the machine through a boot cycle.  It might also be good to
use the verbose options for logging.

4. Do a ctl+alt+F1 followed by a ctl+alt+F8.  It just shows you the last
part of the boot process.  Sometimes.  Get back to your GUI with a
ctl+alt+F7.

5. Slow down the processor and/or front side buss.  Perhaps we are on the
edge.

6. Are you up to date?

7. Are you hacked?

8. I note a lot more problems with an update than a fresh install.  Save
your data and do a fresh install?

Good Hunting!

Tod