Anti-Novell press briefing may not play well with Xensource

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Jul 31 11:41:48 UTC 2006

''
Xen not ready for prime-time, says Red Hat

By Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia
31 July 2006 06:04 PM

A senior Red Hat executive today maintained the Xen open source
virtualisation environment was not yet ready for enterprise use, despite
"unbelievable" customer demand and the fact rival Novell has already
started shipping the software.

Xen, which is primarily being developed by US-based startup XenSource,
allows users to run multiple operating systems as guest virtual machines
on the same hardware, potentially allowing for greater utilisation of
resources.

But while rival Novell this month started shipping the software with
version 10 of its SUSE Linux Enterprise Server environment, Red Hat
continues to have a lack of confidence in the virtualisation newcomer.

"XenSource is not stable yet, it's not ready for the enterprise," Red
Hat's vice president of International Operations, Alex Pinchev, told
ZDNet Australia today via telephone.

"We don't feel that XenSource is stable enough to address banking,
telco, or any other enterprise customer, so until we are comfortable, we
will not release it."

Taking the customer viewpoint, he said: "If the National Australia Bank
wants to implement virtualisation and it's not stable, you can imagine
what they will tell us."

Instead of trying to play catch up with Novell and simply shipping Xen
as included software with Red Hat's operating system, Red Hat will
attempt to build a full virtualisation platform around the product in
the next version of its Red Hat Enterprise Linux server software, due to
be released in December.

...''

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Xen_not_ready_for_prime_time_says_Red_Hat/0,2000061733,39265136,00.htm