C Programming

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Jul 31 18:05:49 UTC 2006

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Juan Carlos wrote:

> Dear Kaushal:
>
>         I used "C from A to Z", by Brian Costales (Prentice-Hall). It
> is an old book, but very good. For C++ I used "Developing C++ Software"
> by Russel Winder.
>
>        There is an old flame war. Some say that C and only C must be
> used. Other say that only C++ has objects, encapsulation, etc. and it is
> the greatest thing in the programming world. I see that the Linux kernel
> has been written in C and I guess it is good: some C++ programs are
> unreadable.

Another issue with C++ is that it is not very portable.  If you stick with
gcc, you don't have as many problems, but if you try to use C++ compilers
from other vendors, you start getting into serious weird problems.  Trying
to find what vendors support what features is the big problem here.
Because C++ has been a moving target over the last n+1 years, some things
were supported and some were not, depending on who's compiler you used.

Not to mention the reputation that C++ has for generating binaries that
are 33% (or more) larger than C.

Both have their uses.

As for books on learning C and/or C++...  I use "C a Reference Manual" by
Harrison and Steele" for C. (As well as Steven's books on Unix
programming.)

As for C++, I use "The C++ programming language" by Stroustrup.

--
Does Bjarne Stroustrup think of women as objects?