psychic emacs

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:50:06 UTC 2006

On 7/31/06, Amadeus W. M. <amadeus84 at cablespeed.com> wrote:
> Do this on FC5:
>
> emacs foobar.spec
>
> Can I configure emacs to do the same with other
> file types, or is it compiled in? E.g. whenever I open a blank
> foobar.cc automatically #include certain header files, and create
> a usage() and main() stub.

That's done by the rpm-spec-initialize function, which is a hook in
the rpm-spec-mode-new-file-hook, which is called when you open a blank
file in RPM mode.  By default, files ending in .spec are edited in RPM
mode.

No, I don't see a similar c-mode-new-file-hook -- which is what sent
me down the path of answering this for you -- not because I am
particularly adept at customizing Emacs, I was just intrigued by the
thought of adding my own c-mode-new-file-hook.

Hopefully somebody more expert than I will step in and say, "No --
it's right there!"

--wpd