firefox update

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 10 03:26:15 UTC 2006

James Wilkinson <fedora <at> westexe.demon.co.uk> writes:
> FC5 is relatively easy -- it can just get a version upgrade to 1.5.0.4.
> FC4 never did get a 1.5.x upgrade -- I seem to remember that in order to
> integrate nicely with the rest of the system, it would have needed an
> upgraded version of gtk++ or something -- and that would destabilise
> every Gnome program on the platform.

Mathias Saou (of FreshRPMS fame) rebuilt Firefox 1.5 for FC4 right when it was
out. IIRC, all he had to do was disable Cairo support. So I don't think pushing
1.5 for FC4 would be that big an issue.

Rémi Collet also has Firefox 1.5 for FC4 (now at 1.5.0.4), he did it by
rebuilding Cairo too (which doesn't seem to require anything else to be
upgraded).
http://remi.collet.free.fr/index.php?2006/06/02/160-firefox-1504-1fc4remi (He
also has an unofficial 1.5.0.4 RPM for FC5.)

        Kevin Kofler