Optical drive not booting

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 20 01:05:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 19:38 +0100, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I must reinstall the OS. My problems are getting way out of hand. I
> have two optical drives, a NEC and a Lite-On. My install media checks
> out fine.
>
> When I set the bios to boot from the NEC, it boots the install disk
> and I can start the installation. The installation hangs, however, so
> I'd like to try to install from the Lite-On.

NEC and Liteon *what* drives?  Optical is a very broad term.

For what it's worth, I had a PC with Atapi Zip drive and a CD-ROM, I
could never boot from a CD-ROM with the Zip drive on the system.  The PC
would try to boot from the first Atapi device (which had to be the Zip,
or the system would never work), and no amount of jiggery pokery would
make it regard the CD-ROM as the CD-ROM, unless I unplugged the Zip
drive.

... Pissed off at stupid BIOS programmers...

I read messages from the public lists.