LVM of VolGroup00 with LogVol00

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 21 10:17:50 UTC 2006

Patrick Nelson wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>> Patrick Nelson wrote:
>>> FC4 Up to date
>>>
>>> I went to do an Upgrade to FC5 and I don't have enough room on my
>>> system (which is a VMware Instance).  So I thought well lets just
>>> extend the Logical Volume.  The only problem is that LogVol00 is
>>> mounted to /.  My head is sore from trying to find a way to run
>>> resize2fs on this LV when it is mounted on /.  Is this even
>>> possible?  I guess I could create a new LV in VolGroup00 and mount it
>>> to /var, but I started down this road and I'm kinda hoping I can
>>> figure it out.
>>>
>>> So far I've done:
>>>
>>> pvcreate /dev/sdb
>>> vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sdb
>>> lvextend -l 267 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /dev/sdb
>>> all worked fine, but of course:
>>> resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00     -  doesn't work because its
>>> mounted.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be great.  I am working out the /var to a LV
>>> thing but...
>>
>> You can try this:
>>
>> # ext2online /
>>
>> However, with a size change as big as that it probably won't be able
>> to help you. You'll need to boot from the rescue/install CD to resize
>> the filesystem using resize2fs.
>>
>> Paul.
>>
> Well I'm up for that (rescue), but how?  I did try that and I couldn't
> figure out how to call the /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 with resize2fs.

I've done it in the past by booting the install CD in rescue mode,
getting it to mount all of the filesystems before dropping into a shell,
then manually unmounting everything from /mnt/sysimage down. That leaves
all of the necessary devide nodes in place, but with the filesystems not
mounted so you can use resize2fs.

Paul.