Accessing a printer shared from windows

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jun 21 22:33:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 14:27 -0700, Gordon Charrick wrote:
> I previously had an HP 5510 all-in-one printer that worked great in both
> Linux and windows. Unfortunately, it didn't work with networking so I
> had to unplug it from one computer and connect it to the other to be
> able to print with both computers.
>
> Right now, I'm looking to get a new HP all-in-one printer that I can use
> with both computers. I think I'd prefer to have it connected to the
> windows machine and set up a share so I can access it from Linux, as
> opposed to putting it directly on the network, since my network is
> wireless and not many printers do wireless. I'm kind of leaning towards
> the HP 6310. Any thoughts on this configuration?
>
> Gordon

I use something similar with an HP OfficeJet G85 printer.  It is
connected to a Windows 2000 box that I use as a print server.  I found
that setting up LPR printing on the windows box made it very easy to
connect from the linux systems and print to that printer.

You might be able to find the instructions for setting up lpr on the
windows system in the archives.  Have passed that out before.  If you
have trouble finding it let me know and I can walk through it again.