LAMP on Fedora

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Thu Jun 22 04:44:54 UTC 2006

Robert F. Chapman wrote:
> Up to about a year ago, I did everything from source.  This was
> primarily due to features and bug fixes were very slow to be implemented
> in the standard RPM's.
>
> I didn't have a very good handle on RPM at the time, so I'd download the
> source and recompile.  This worked OK for a while, but when I had to
> support several instances on production servers, this began to become a
> tedious job.

FWIW

one could compile from source and use rpms by building binary rpms from
s[ource]rpms. That should give you 'better' performance without as much
headache. You'd still need to solve dependencies, as yum doesn't handle
srpms, though.

Personally, I've never done anything but yum [up2date,apt] install php
and never had an issue worth mentioning.