ALSA and slmodemd

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jun 24 20:01:12 UTC 2006

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4004 laptop. ALSA uses the
snd-hda-intel module. This give me both the audio and modem.

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861 Analog [ALC861 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I can use the modem part using the slmodemd-alsa package from Liva.
The problem I am running into is trying to hear call progress on the
modem. I do not have a mixer setting for it. I do have a Caller ID
and Off-hook switch in the mixer. I have not figured out what the
Caller ID switch does, but the Off-hook switch controls the modem to
phone line connection. I may need to pass something to the driver
when loading it to specify more ports...

I have done a Google search, and read the ALSA documentation, but I
am missing something. I suspect that there is a way to use the
Si3054 modem like I am using the ALC861 Analog audio, and do things
like build an answering machine or speaker phone in software, and
probably monitor call progress as well, but I am not finding the
right documentation. Does anyone know of a good site to find this
information?

TIA
Mikkel