Screen Resolution

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Jun 25 22:58:09 UTC 2006

    Hi Folks,

    I'm having a bit of a problem with setting X to use a higher
resolution.  Under Winblows, this monitor, a Viewsonic Graphics Series
G810, can run 1280x1024 just fine.  But I can't get it to do that under
X.    I can run system-config-display and set it to 1280x1024 but then
when I restart X, the screen is all screwed up.  I get horizontal lines
all over it and you can barely read anything.

    At first I thought maybe it was my refresh rates, but after
verifying with Viewsonic, they match and are what they should be:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "ViewSonic G810"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 97.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 180.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

    As for the video card, it's a:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "trident"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "Trident Blade3D (generic)"
        Option      "NoAccel"
EndSection

    What else should I be looking at to figure out this problem?  I'd
like to get the monitor running with a higher resolution, at least,
higher than 1024x768.

    Thanks.