Boot problems (FC4)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 26 09:25:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 19:16 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> It's somewhat disconcerting that when ntpd failed to make the
> connection the whole bootup process failed.  I would have wished for a
> failure notice then the rest of the bootup to continue.

Is it really the case, or are you mistaking cause and effect?

e.g. Name resolution or networking isn't working, and NTPD being just
one thing that doesn't cope with it, but the last thing that you saw.

I have seen systems get stuck for quite a while on services like NTPD or
NFS, because they couldn't access the servers that they wanted to, and
the whole boot-up sequence runs them sequentially (each one must finish,
in turn, before proceeding down the list).  Eventually (read "ages
later", for NFS), the system would carry on booting.  It's the sort of
thing that happens if I take a PC out of the network, and forget to
disable a service or two before I removed it.

I read messages from the public lists.