how to configure tftp server on fc5

Daniel Challen daniel.challen at ocsl.co.uk
Mon Jun 26 13:23:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 15:01 +0200, Gregory Machin wrote:
> Hi I need to configure the tftp server that comes with fc5 to pxe boot
> netbsd (dont ask lol..) onto  a  net4801  embedded devicde...
> Iv googles my ass off and can't find a diecent howto ... any
> constructive suggestions would be grate ..

There's very little to configuring a tftp server:

sudo yum install tftp-server
sudo /sbin/chkconfig tftp on
sudo /sbin/chkconfig xinetd on       # if it's not set to start automatically
sudo /sbin/service xinetd start      # and/or not started already
sudo cp pxebootablefile /tftpboot/

That's all you need to do with tftp, however, you don't mention whether
the BSD kernel is directly PXE-bootable (I'm guessing this is m0n0wall,
with which I have only a passing familiarity.) If it's not, then you may
need to do something more sophisticated involving PXELINUX.

You also fail to mention whether you've got a DHCP server.

If you need more help, then providing more information is useful.

- Dan