Reminder of danger from Patents

Brian Millett bmillett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 17:08:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 16:37 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> ''Red Hat Faces Patent Infringement Suit
>
> Software company FireStar has filed suit against open source seller
> Red
> Hat, alleging patent infringement.  The suit, filed in the Eastern
> District of Texas, asserts infringement of U.S. Patent No. 6,101,502
> that is directed to a method of interfacing an object oriented
> software
> application with a relational database.
>
> ...''
>
> http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2006/06/red_hat_faces_p.html
>
> Let's hope that goes nowhere, but it serves as a reminder that the
> danger from a patent attack is real.

Yep, from http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6101502.html

"A mapping between an object model and a relational database is
generated to facilitate access to the relational database. The object
model can be created from database schema or database schema can be
created from the object model. Further, the mapping can be automatically
generated. The Database schema, object model and mapping are employed to
provide interface objects that are utilized by a runtime engine to
facilitate access to the relational database by object oriented software
applications."

Now tell me, who has not done this at least 100 times for some project?
Give me a break!

FYI, from their (Firestar) site: "Under terms of the agreement FireStar
Software and Microsoft and will be participating in joint marketing and
sales activities targeting insurance companies faced with issues of
rapidly developing applications compliant with industry standards"

Ok, now I see where it is coming from.

--
Brian Millett - [ Dr. Kyle (re: Vorlon Ambassador Kosh), "The
Gathering"]