What's new and what's different with Fedora Core 5?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Mar 20 21:22:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:25:09 -0800,
  Hex Star <hexstar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, it has come to my attention that Fedora Core 5 has finally been publicly
> released, however before I embark upon the journey of downloading the ISOs
> for Fedora Core 5 I'd like to see if the improvements/changes really justify
> me downloading the new version. I've looked at the release notes for Fedora
> Core 5 and they didn't really shed much light on what's new other then
> really that a new version of KDE is included as I can remember. So, can
> anyone here provide some more details on what's new and what has changed
> (such as any drivers removed from the installer cd? (I'm most concerned
> about megaraid because the server I'd use this on requires that driver in
> order for Linux to interact with its HDs)) with the release of Fedora Core 5
> please? Thanks! :-)

What kind of raid are you using. You are often better off using software
raid rather than a cheap hardware controller. It will often be faster and
you aren't locked into a specific controller if your raid card dies.

What particularly interets me in this release is the new reference policy for
SELinux and Apache 2.2.