newbie: howto install mplayer codecs

Nat Gross nat101l at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 18:15:40 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, John Wendel <john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil> wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:

> >>Generally, I've not had to use any.

> >>I haven't had to do so.  "mplayer something.avi" "mplayer something.mpg"
> >>"mplayer something.mov" have all worked just as simply as that.

> >>There should also be some sort of mplayer-gui package (or command, it
> >>might be included in the base package).  I haven't installed mplayer the
> >>way that you did, though; but it works in the same way once installed.
> >

> >>Hey,
> >

> >>the only parameter you have to give is the filename of the movie you wanna
> >>watch: mplayer moviename.mpg -> thats all....
> >

> >>why not using mplayer in the gui? you can open it should be soemewhere in
> >>the multimedia section of gnome...it doesnt seem that you installed the
> >>gui... yum -y install mplayer-gui, this should make it available in
> >
> > gnome too...
> >
> > Ok. It works via 'mplayer <filename>' and that includes avi files
> > (something that didn't work before for me).
> >
> > However, I am having gui problems. Besides not appearing in the
> > right-click menu, entering just 'mplayer' should bring up a gui.
> > yum is having a problem installing the gui:
> > -------------------
> > Running Transaction Test
> > Finished Transaction Test
> > Transaction Test Succeeded
> > Running Transaction
> >   Installing: mplayer-gui                  ######################### [1/1]
> > error: unpacking of archive failed on file
> > /usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default: cpio : rename
> >
> > Installed: mplayer-gui.i386 0:1.0-0.37.pre7try2.lvn5
> > Complete!
> > --------------------
> > It said complete!. Nada.
> > By the way 'ls /usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default' shows 0 files.
> >
> > thanks
> > nat
> >

> The gui version is named "gmplayer".
>
> Regards,
>
> John

It seems like its missing the skins.  Here is a dump of my terminal:
-------------------------------
]$ gmplayer
MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-rpm.livna.org-4.1.0 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 4)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes

vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your
system startup scripts.
Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.
[skin] file ( /usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default/skin ) not found.
Skin not found (default)
It seems like a minor thing to fix manually. (I don't know how.)
But I prefer to use yum for it, in order to automate future upgrades.
And yum has the problem noted above in my previous post.

Thanks
nat