Wired Ethernet Connection at Hotel

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon May 1 21:14:40 UTC 2006

RICHARD wrote:
> Sorry but I have to use pine via telnet to respond to the replies.
> I expected to be re-directed to a startup web page when I tried to use the
> browser but that did not happen - nothing happened the first time. I
> couldn't get to any web pages or use telnet or ssh. Yet route -r showed
> there was some sort of connection and the indicator for the ethernet
> connection showed there was some sort of connection (it was flashing and
> packets were being sent and received). I guessed at the gateway and dns
> and was able to ping them but that was as far as I could go until I used a
> route command to specify a default route to the gateway. I can tell from
> resolv.conf that dhcp is specifying the dns (yet I wasn't originally able
> to surf web pages unles I specified the ip address).
> An IT came up last night with his laptop (running Windows of course) and
> was immediately able to connect. It stays connected but for some reason
> the DNS gets lost and I have to repeatedly re-activate through the gui
> network interface.
> How can I look at dhcp? When I used to type in all the commands manually
> to connect (either wired or wirelessly using ifconfig, iwconfig, dhclient)
> dhclient would give me info on the leases. But for some time it doesn't
> give me any indication of what is going on.
> I'm going to try the service and dig example (but I wanted to send this
> first in case it causes any problems with connecting).
> Thanks.
> Rick B.
> Rick Bilonick
> mailto:rab at nauticom.net
> http://www.nauticom.net/users/rab
I wonder if they are using UPnP (Universal Plug-and-Play) to set
things up? I don't think it is supported by default by Fedora. It is
turned on by default under Windows XP. I am not sure about under
Windows 98. In any case, it sounds like they are making use of some
of the non-standard features of dhcp used by Windows.

You should take a look at your logs to see if there is any
information about this...