OT-motherboard

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Mon May 1 22:44:13 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Bob Taylor <brtaylor at sanfelipe.com.mx> wrote:
> I was given a Gateway 2000 by a friend with
> only 128 Meg RAM. Gateway wants too much for 2 128 Meg DIMMS leaving me
> still short of RAM. I had hoped to replace the motherboard with another
> that would accept at least 1 Gig RAM and still use (for now) my old but
> still usable boards/drives.

Do your homework before undertaking what you suggest here.  Some OEM
computer makers don't use standard ATX parts and pieces, including
motherboards, power supplies, and so on.  Dell is for certain among
them; I don't know about Gateway.  Check the web to be sure.  You
wouldn't want to shell out cash for an ATX motherboard only to find it
won't fit into the enclosure, or the mount holes don't line up, the
power connectors won't fit, or, worst of all, the power connectors
*do* fit, but the power supply cable pinout isn't ATX compliant.

Jay