[PHILOSOPHY] Stability and Release Schedules

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Wed May 3 04:38:23 UTC 2006

Guy Fraser wrote:
> I am not completely familiar with Debian, but other OSes use
> a similar development/stable branch system. You may have
> misread or been mislead, because most similar systems still
> have releases for the reasons I stated above, but the only
> time the releases change is when a significant change is
> made, and not based on a time schedule. Periodically such
> systems also have patch releases that fix security or
> stability issues and require significant package updates.

Exactly. For example, Gentoo has a similar system, where deemed-stable
packages have an 'arch' keyword, potentially broken but
works-for-the-devs packages are keyworded as '~arch' and known-broken
packages are hardmasked to prevent installation without explicit user
interaction to "unmask" them as needed (where the 'arch' or '~arch'
keywording is the architecture, such as '~x86', 'sparc', '~mips',
'amd64', et al).

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
   DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479