crontab won't run script with absolute path

Cameron Beattie kjcsb at orcon.net.nz
Wed May 3 09:22:19 UTC 2006

I am experiencing a strange problem where crontab won't run a script when I
specify the full path to it.

whereis logrotate
logrotate: /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf /etc/logrotate.d
/usr/share/man/man8/logrotate.8.gz

crontab -l
02 21 * * * logrotate /usr/share/mysql/mysql-log-rotate

In this case the crontab doesn't run because of a path issue.

/bin/sh: logrotate: command not found

crontab -l
02 21 * * * /usr/sbin/logrotate /usr/share/mysql/mysql-log-rotate

In this case the script is not run at all. No errors are reported in the
logfile.

I'm sure there's an easy fix for this other than a symlink to
/usr/sbin/logrotate?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Cameron