FC5 hotplug documentation?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200605 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Wed May 3 17:53:21 UTC 2006

>> BUS="usb", SYSFS{serial}="<serial number of GPS device>",
>> NAME="gps", MODE="0666"

Thanks to everybody that helped flesh this out.  The key for me was
knowing that hotplug is now spelled "udev" was key to finding some
documentation.

One thing that wasn't clear was can I just make a file by the name
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and put my additions in there?  One
of the udev doc files had a caution that one needed to duplicate some
default settings if one made an "upstream" file.  It wasn't clear how
to identify what needed duplication.

from Fc5 /usr/share/doc/udev-084/writing_udev_rules/index.html:

        As your own rules will effectively mask out the udev defaults
        which create the base /dev layout, it is recommended that you
        also specify devfs-style names/symlinks for the rules you
        write, so that you get the sensible defaults plus your own
        names.

I just don't follow what they are saying.

-wolfgang