/dev/dsp

Rickey Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu May 4 03:47:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 14:03 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Rickey Moore wrote:

> >> lsof -f -- /dev/dsp
> >>

> > You mught check to make sure your device isn't running full duplex...
> > that will make it busy as hell and eat up ALOT of cpu under alsa. Then
> > dink with your alsa settings ie: give it more priority, more cache, etc.
> > I used to get such messages, but I haven't seen one in awhile. Make sure
> > you've updated all your sound-related rpms. Good Luck... I call this
> > trouble shooting with a shotgun, Ric
> >

>     Hello Ric, I am not sure what is going on. I'm on FC5 and the thing
> was set up just a few weeks ago so things should be new. Since the
> application runs fine on earlier red hat systems I think it's something
> new that is the problem.

I agree with you... I use KDE mostly, so i go into the Control Center
and click on Sound and Multimedia section, then System Notifications and
click 'apply to all applications' and select 'turn off all' - select
'sounds' then 'apply' ...OK, that stops all system usage of sounds for
notifications... sorry! :)

Next select 'sound system', (in 'Sound & Multimedia' section again) In
the 'General' subsection I'm not networking sound, I have 'highest
priority' checked and 4096 sound buffer. In the Hardware subsection
I've checked none of these... so there is nothing out of the ordinary,
no full duplex (which is a cpu hog) no special sampling rate, nada...

If you had to change something, hit 'apply'  and that should be it. It
usually restarts the alsa system if you changed anything. So, now
nothing is calling on /dev/snd unless you have told it to do so. I think
that, with the upgrades, stuff gets overwritten. I hope this helps, Ric