scim chinese input under non GB2312 locale

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu May 4 07:06:44 UTC 2006

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> - snip -
>
>>> I can start Chinese Editing on login Session-Trad/Simplied Chinese.
>>>
>>> [Ctrl]+[Space] - switching between English and Chinese
>>> [Ctrl]+[Shift] - toggling "editing method"
>>>
>>> What I tried to find out is how to start editing Chinese on English
>>> locale (in English environment).  I have been searchig around on
>> the
>>> Menu and unabled to find it
>> I think you've been told this a few times...and it is working fine
>> for
>> me here.  Your LANG environment variable *must* be set to en_US.UTF-8
>> *prior* to X startup.  Check to see what is in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.
>
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
>

> It is there.
>

> IIRC on FC2/FC3 to input Chinese on English locale I have to run first;
>
> # export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM; export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8; scim -d
>
> before starting the application.  It was a little bid complicate.
>
> Would it be the same?  TIA

If all is well, no need to do that.

When I login my environment is set up as shown here:

SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM=xterm
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.3
QTINC=/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include
KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
USER=egreshko
DESKTOP_SESSION=kde
QT_IM_MODULE=xim
GDM_XSERVER_LOCATION=local
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim

No LC_CTYPE environment variable is set.

--
Do not worry about which side your bread is buttered on: you eat BOTH sides.