scim chinese input under non GB2312 locale

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 08:53:58 UTC 2006

Hi Ed,

> Did you log totally out and back in?  Or, did you run scim-restart?

Ah, I forgot this step.  Sorry.

Logout and relogin.  On Konsole;

$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

$ export XMODIFIERS=@IM=SCIM
$ kedit

Kedt started.
Still failed to input Chinese on "kedit".  Exited "kedit"

ScimInputContextPlugin()
Qt: Cannot set locale modifiers:
~ScimInputContextPlugin()

$ gedit
gedit started, inputing Chinese possible.

[Ctrl]+[Space]
[Ctrl]+[Shift]
both worked.  Exited "gedit"

(gedit:2419): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot set locale modifiers
Killed

The situation is more less the same as while I ran FC2/FC3, about 1 and
half years ago.  Chinese input on Gnome was possible.  Chinese input on
KDE was unstable.  Sometime I made it work on Kedit, OOWriter, Mozilla,
etc.  Another time they failed.  I tried some times without a
breakthrough.

Lot of tks for your advice and time spent.

B.R.
SL