Aprox 50 failed http and DVD installs of FC5 with kernel panics (bugzilla'd and willing to debug)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 4 13:15:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 01:51, Dave Russell wrote:

> > Another option would be to install the free VMware server under
> > an OS version that works and install FC5 as a vmware guest.  Even
> > that takes some extra steps to work around the changes in
> > FC5, but it should work.
>
> To be honest, I just want a stable linux workstation, I'd much prefer it
> to be FC5, but that looks unlikely at the moment.

A current fedora version rarely fits any definition of 'stable',
although you seem to have some peculiar hardware issue.

> I might go back to FC4, or off to ubuntu for a bit, come back for FC6.

If you don't mind somewhat out of date apps (approx. FC3 vintage
with updates), Centos 4.3 is about as stable as you'll find:
http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=125
and installation and administration style matches fedora.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com