Brother MFC-5440CN printer on FC3 and FC5

Brian Hanks bhanks at crackedweasel.org
Thu May 4 20:09:47 UTC 2006

> Brian Hanks wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to buy * Brother MFC-5440CN printer for my home office and
>>> was reading several reviews. but can't find specific to Fedora in
>>> general FC3 and FC5 in particular.
>>>
>>> It would help me if some one who tried this model under FC3 or FC5 to
>>> share their success steps or frailer in making the printer a Networked
>>> printer.
>>>
>>> Both my machines   (FC3 and FC5) are uptodated
>>> thanks
>>> *
>>>
>>> --
>>> Yonas Abraham, PhD
>>> Registered Linux user number 407343               http://counter.li.org
>>>

>> I have a Brother MFC-8840DN that I've used as a networked priter with
>> FC3
>> & FC5.  No problems at all.
>>

>> -- Brian
>>

> did you follow the same steps as it is on the brothers Linux page?
>
> from what I understood, I should be able to
> 1)rpm -ivh MFC5440CNlpr-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
> 2)rpm -ivh cupswrapperMFC5440CN-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
>
> and the use the SYSTEM-->Administration-->Printing and add new printer
> as JetDirect and use the default Port (9100) and use the Printers IP.
>
> or is you use a different method?
>
> THanks
>
> --
> Yonas Abraham, PhD
> Registered Linux user number 407343               http://counter.li.org

I have used the Brother drivers before.  Originally, I had no luck with
them, then a while later I got them working.

Currently, I'm just using one of the built-in printer drivers configured
for JetDirect mode (printer_ip:9100).  There wasn't an exact driver match
so I just went through the built-in Brother drivers and found one with a
similar model number and a matching resolution.  If the test page works,
I've found that it'll work for almost anything.  I've only run into issues
once or twice in the past several years and those were easily fixed by
selecting a different driver from the list.

That said, I've been meaning to circle back and try the Brother supplied
drivers again.  I just haven't done it yet.

-- Brian