Problem with mounting hard disk after FC5 installation

Brian Hanks bhanks at crackedweasel.org
Thu May 4 20:16:03 UTC 2006

>> What type of partition is yours?  Mine's an ext2.  I'm thinking of
>> running
>> tune2fs to convert it to ext3 to see if that makes a difference.
>
> Mine's ext3.
>
> I have suspicions that the problem lies somewhere further down than
> the filesystem, because the hard disk partition doesn't actually
> appear in sysfs until I run partprobe.
>
> I'm not quite sure what partprobe pokes though.
>
> Are you using LVM?
>
> Rob

I am using LVM, but not for /boot, /, or /var.  I typically use software
RAID 1 for those so that any troubleshooting/recovery is a bit easier.

I think you are correct.  It doesn't make sense that the filesystem would
have an issue, because after all it mounts in other OSes and it passes
e2fsck just fine.  It's in one of the mount-related utilities or the
kernel.  That said, it's possible that there might be a change to the
filesystem that would allow the issue to be avoided.

Any idea of how one might go about troubleshooting this further?

-- Brian