can't boot FC5 (grub)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 5 20:58:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 20:15 +0200, yordy wrote:
> When I boot on rescue mode, root partition (/) is
> mounted on /mnt/sysimage, I type chroot /mnt/sysimage
> to gain access and then type grub-install /dev/hda,
> with this command I'm trying to install grub on MBR of
> mi only disk (/dev/hda), but when it runs say file
> stage1 can't read correctly, and grub don't work, is
> necesary to indicate --root-directory= too, and
> --root-directory= is /boot partition?
>
> Greetings
grub-install is flaky at times . Try this:
grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

In the middle you could type: grob> find /boot/grub/stage1
to see whether stage 1 can be found but that is not necessary. The hd0
and hd0,0 may have to be changed to fit your system
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>