A FC6 suggestion.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 5 22:03:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 16:17, Jeff Vian wrote:

> The uninitiated will not likely be moving drives between machines.  They
> would do an install on already existing drives and as such the Fedora
> install/labeling scheme works well.

So the idea is to stay uninitiated forever?

> The conflicts occur when previously
> labeled drives are mixed in a machine as mentioned above.

Note that the prior scheme of using partition names did not
have any problems unless you moved them either and then they
were predictable according to drive positions.  With this
scheme the problem depends on the disk contents that you aren't
likely to know ahead of time.

> Some OSes write a PVID on the physical device that is unique (similar to
> the way identifiers on LVM logical volumes and volume groups are
> unique).  This may be a better way since a unique identifier of this
> sort (physical volume plus logical volume/partition) is guaranteed to
> not conflict the way the current labels do.

If someone is going to re-think this, they should also come up
with a scheme that works when you do a backup and restore to
a different machine.  There are so many things you have to fix
by hand (grub, fstab, the NIC hardware addresses) when you
copy a working machine that I'd be surprised if anyone is rolling
them out in any volume.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com