Issues w/ Kickstart & building custom DVD

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri May 5 23:16:06 UTC 2006

Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I'm trying to build an installer DVD, and I'm running into some
> issues. This
> is for FC5 on an HP n6000.
>
> * changing the default timeout behavior for the loader, so that it's
> "linux ks=..."
>  instead of just "linux".

Ok, figured this out... It was in isolinux/isolinux.cfg ... but the
Kickstart
documentation still isn't very clear about the values of "ks=cdrom" or
"ks=harddisk"
(or whatever)... i.e. WHERE on the respective medias the file is
expected to be.
Is it in the root directory for a cdrom?  Is it in /tmp/ for the harddisk?

> * figuring out where a good place to put the ks.cfg file would be (on
> the CD-ROM
>  root, or in the ramdisk image root?)
>
> * figuring out all of the options... I'm getting anaconda messages
> that "mouse" and
>   "langsupport" are deprecated...

Seeing messages about finding the USB mouse, but "failed to loading
mousedev driver"
(or some such message).

> * and finally Anaconda is blowing out, saying it didn't like might
> ks.cfg file, but
>   instead of a line number, it gives %s... grrr...

Is there an easy way to debug this?  Because it's blowing out, and I
sure can't
tell where along the way it is... especially since the box reboots
before I have
much of a chance to delve into things and figure out how far along it got.

I'll publish whatever scripts, etc. I come up with once I have things
working.

BTW:  if anyone has a link for a Kickstart mailing list or IRC forum, that
would be handy too...

-Philip