Asterisk and AMP RPM's

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat May 6 18:12:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 19:54:38 +0200,
  Patrick <fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The reason the samples are not installed in /etc/asterisk but
> in /etc/asterisk-1.2.7.1_samples is to prevent your existing config from
> being overwritten. This is also the case for /etc/zaptel.conf
> and /etc/sysconfig/zaptel. Better safe than sorry.

I know why they did it, but I am used to Fedora putting in conf files when
they don't already exists and having rpmnew or rpmsave files around.
I realize with asterisk its a bit trickier, because there probably isn't
a good default configuration.

I was able to figure out what to do, because I had done a source install
previously and knew where to look for stuff.

> Start the asterisk service
> # service asterisk start
>
> If all went well you can start a remote Asterisk console
> # asterisk -r

I also changed my asterisk init file to not use safe_asterisk as that uses
the -c option which doesn't play very nice with the service commands.
If I want a console after starting it I can used asterisk -r as you mention.

Maybe someday Digium will try to get the various zaptel drivers into the
mainline kernel so we don't need to rebuild the zaptel modules after every
kernel upgrade.