A FC6 suggestion.

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun May 7 13:49:42 UTC 2006

I'm surprised no-one in this thread seems to share my view,
which is that the whole label= idea is a dreadful mistake,
as the occasions where it causes confusion
vastly outnumber the occasions where it could possibly help.

The only concrete example I have seen put forward
of a case where it might help
is if one has two or more SCSI disks, and one fails,
so that the others are re-named (eg /dev/sdb -> /dev/sda).

Has this ever happened to anyone?
I've been using SCSI disks for some time,
and never known one to fail
and simply be ignored by the SCSI controller.

[Incidentally, I have noticed one persistent problem
with SCSI disks, which came in with RedHat 9, IIRC.
Anaconda seems to get in a tizzy if you have 15 partitions,
ie up to /dev/sda15 .]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366