Problem with mounting hard disk after FC5 installation

Rickey Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun May 7 15:34:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 20:54 +0100, Robert Spanton wrote:
> > What type of partition is yours?  Mine's an ext2.  I'm thinking of running
> > tune2fs to convert it to ext3 to see if that makes a difference.
>
> Mine's ext3.
>
> I have suspicions that the problem lies somewhere further down than
> the filesystem, because the hard disk partition doesn't actually
> appear in sysfs until I run partprobe.
>
> I'm not quite sure what partprobe pokes though.
>
> Are you using LVM?

THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN!!
I thought I'd been around awhile... never recalling hearing of
'partprobe'. I ran it, and have been having a pile of problems with
udev, and partprobe reveals that the system thinks I have this:

[root at iam My Downloads]# partprobe -s
/dev/hda: msdos partitions 1 2
/dev/sda: msdos partitions 1

WTF?
I have ext3 partitions and lvm on hda... no wonder udev barfs. How do I
safely fix this?? The boot sequence finds ext3 partitions, and
everything gets mounted as such, or so I beleive. Something got
clobbered during yum upgrade... I suspect. Thanks again for your timely
post. Ric