A FC6 suggestion.

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun May 7 19:44:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 14:01 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> For what it's worth, add my voice to the "disk labels in /etc/fstab is
> retarded" chorus.  Who ever made this design decision had to have been
> smoking some quality South American weed to have thought this was a
> good idea.

It was a good idea.
I can remember scsi devices changing just because I loaded SCSI
emulation (no longer necessary) to burn a CD-R.

I've moved disks around on IDE bus because certain operating system
insisted in being installed to the master - with disk labels, all I had
to do was tell the bios to boot from the slave and not the master - and
everything just worked.

It's a great idea.

I think a unique identifier (such as a time stamp) as part of the string
put into the LABEL would make it more user friendly (and it would solve
the problem), but I like having the mount point as part of the string
too.

But discussing here is not going to result in anything done - someone
who feels that it needs to be done needs to file an RFE so that the
appropriate Red Hat people can see the request.