RPMs corrupted

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon May 8 11:06:25 UTC 2006

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> RPMs become corrupted when downloading them with ftp or http under

>   [perrin at localhost new]$ cmp -l gedit-2.14.2-1.fc5.1.i386.rpm
>   /mnt/l/rpms/gedit-2.14.2-1.fc5.1.i386.rpm
>     22089 337 377
>     22453 337 377
>   2790177 337 377

Couple of ideas.

  - run tcpdump -s0 -X >dump.txt during a bad download and see if the
content of the packet is bad.  TCP checksums should find bad stuff in
transit

  - there can be memory or disk problems *on the server* not on your
client.  If you control the server test this also.  This would explain
why the TCP packets are not seen as corrupted, the data was corrupted
before it was sent over the network

  - If you control the server, try downloading synthetic files, eg dd
if=/dev/urandom of=testfile bs=1024 count=1024 will generate 1M of
randomish junk.  Look for commonality if there are errors in that too.

  - Network driver could be crapping on its buffers I guess.

-Andy