Dodgy screen on dell 8600 latop

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon May 8 14:14:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

This is probably OT for this list, but I have tried a few others and got
nowhere, so I thought I would try my luck on this list.  Apologies in
advance.

I have a dell 8600 (running FC5), which has developed a problem with the
screen, in that from time to time the colours go odd (like its losing
one of the red/green/blue signals). I've may have narrowed down the
problem to hardware and not software, and a possible dodgy connection
between the main unit and the lid, at the end inside the lid. However, I
haven't gone any further since I don't want to take the lid apart
without knowing what I am doing. Has anyone done anything similar ? I've
googled around but not found any information on how to do this safely -
Does anyone know of a resource I can look for this. Ideally a nice walk
through with pictures :) ?

cheers Chris