bash / word seperators

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon May 8 18:45:08 UTC 2006

At 8:50 AM -0700 5/8/06, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
>Back in 'ye olden days, we used to have a customized version of bash
>that recognized '/' as a word separator; which was very nice when
>editing command lines, a CTRL-W would not erase your whole typed path,
>just back to the slash.
>
>Without building a new version of bash, how can I make the shell
>recognize '/' as a word separator???

You mean "readline", not "bash".  Changing bash's definition of a word
would have much more profound effects than you describe.  Don't mess with
IFS.

Man bash shows "COMP_WORDBREAKS" as the relevent variable to set.  (Don't
unset it.)  See "man bash", and search for "readline".  So:

    COMP_WORDBREAKS=$COMP_WORDBREAKS/

does it.  To have it every time, put that line in ~/.bashrc.