sendmail problem

Mike.Kent at indystar.com Mike.Kent at indystar.com
Mon May 8 21:21:39 UTC 2006

Thank you very much. This would work if we didn't want to use sendmail.mc
- unfortunately my team does want to use the configuration file, and we
can't figure out what's keeping masquerade_as from working with Fedora 4
when it worked fine with previous releases, including Red Hat 9. Can
anyone shed light on why this happened?

Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr>
Sent by: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
05/04/06 05:52 AM
Please respond to
kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr; Please respond to
For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>

For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Re: sendmail problem

Greetings Mike ,

On Wed, 3 May 2006 18:45 , Mike.Kent at indystar.com sent:

>Hello. I'm using Sendmail installed
>with Fedora 4. I have masquerade set and have done a make and restart and
>it still thinks it's sending as localhost.localdomain as in the output
>below. I'm using define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `ini-wf.indystar.com')dnl in
>sendmail.mc to set macro $j in sendmail.cf just so we get fewer bounces,
>but this isn't an good solution. I would like to get masquerading working
>properly and would appreciate any suggestions.

< snip >

Well as i recall when i needed to do whatever you did instead of
messing with sendmail.mc i did the following things

1 . modified /etc/sysconfig/network to say :

HOSTNAME=VOODOO.MASTER.CO.ORG

2. modified /etc/hosts to read

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost ; THIS IS MANDATORY
127.0.0.1  VOODOO.MASTER.CO.ORG

then i restarted the network , so it would read the changes

( service network restart )

and that did the work .

>============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after
>readcf) ============
>
>      (short domain name)
>$w = localhost

This is wrong , if i understand you correctly this should say

$w=ini-wf  ; Everything up to the first dot.

>  (canonical domain name) $j =
>ini-wf.indystar.com

>         (subdomain
>name) $m = localdomain
>

>  (node name) $k = ini-wf
>

>sendmail.mc has these entries:
>
>MASQUERADE_AS(`indystar.com')dnl

Well am not 100 % certain but i think that the above line should read

MASQUERADE_AS(`ini-wf.indystar.com')dnl

>FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
>
>FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
>
>MASQUERADE_DOMAIN('localhost')dnl
>
>MASQUERADE_DOMAIN('localhost.localdomain')dnl
>
>MASQUERADE_DOMAIN('starnews.com')dnl
>
>MASQUERADE_DOMAIN('ini-wf')dnl
>

>The top line of /etc/hosts is 127.0.0.1
>      ini-wf localhost.localdomain localhost

for the /etc/hosts file , either you mistyped or you mean

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost
127.0.0.1  ini-wf.indystar.com  ini-wf

In the above lines the first argument is the IP .
To whom the IP belongs ?
To the one named on the second argument .
The second argument is the Fully Qualified Domain Name or
FQDN . It's the complete name to the machine up to the dot which
would represent the ROOOT DNS Servers . The ROOT DNS Servers represent the

start ( initial point ) of every host in the internet.
The third argument is the allias .
The allias is a short name that you use to call your machine .
You can have as many alliases as you wish seperated by commas .

Kind Regards,
  Kostas