login issues

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 8 20:42:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 19:06 +0200, M wrote:
> I have a laptop installation and it figured most of thre drivers ,
> fedora core 5. it boots fine and then comes to this localhost login
> screen, where i used root and gave pwd and then goes to
> root at localhost..thats it.. i did the telinit 5 and its say switching
> to runlevel 5.
>
> some one replied saying i need to make another directory/username than
> root to get int?? i made a directory but still it insists on local
> host login?
I think we have a misunderstanding here. After you have logged in as
root. (root at login is only the prompt at that ppoint since you machine
does not have a name. run: init 3
so oyu are sure you are in init level 3.
Then run: system-config-display to ovnfigure your display .
Once you do that type: init 5
and see if X comes up. If it does you are set. You can login and define
another user using: System -> Administration -> Users and Groups.

See if oyu can get that far then  read about the /etc/host file and
naming a machine.

Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net