playing cd's on an hp laptop?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue May 9 17:22:12 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

>The no-speaker led is on, and I have NDI how to shut that off.

Shot in the dark...  When I first got my laptop I used the hardware
button to turn off the built-in wireless since I didn't need it because
I had wired access to all of the networks I needed to access.  I then
installed Linux completely wiping the Windoze installation.  I soon came
up with a reason to try to get wireless working and NOTHING I could do
from Linux would turn the wireless card "on" nor was the hardware button
functional under Linux.  I was running FC4 RC3 so when FC4 came out I
wiped the disk again, installed Windoze in a 10GB partition and then FC4
on the rest of the drive.  Sure enough, Windoze control panel showed the
wireless card as off and had a control to turn it on.  It now works just
fine and I have to boot to Windoze whenever there is a BIOS update
anyway since that is the only way HP supports updates.

Any chance you could be running into something like this?  Also, just to
make sure and since you also mentioned a skype headset, my speakers only
work when I don't have a external speaker or headphones plugged into the
speaker jack.

Cheers,
Dave