Thunderbird, Advance to next ...

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed May 10 21:52:01 UTC 2006

taharka wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 16:02 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I am presently using Thunderbird version 1.5.0.2 (20060501) and FC-5.
>> Until updating to FC-5 and the latest Thunderbird I could prevent
>> Thunderbird from asking "Advance to next unread message in ----------?"
>> by making the following configuration changes which can no longer be
>> done.  It appears that the configuration files have changed and I'm
>> unable to find where to stop this annoying "feature!"
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>>
>> Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia   w2bod
>>

>>  > how to stop Thunderbird from asking
>>  >>
>>  >> "Advance to next unread message in ................."
>>

>> In ~/.thunderbird/default/<some_characters>/user.js add
>>
>> # How to handle the Advance to next unread message in <x> folder
>> # prompt.
>> #
>> # Settings:
>> #     0 - Always go to the next folder without prompting
>> #     1 - Ask before going (default behavior)
>> #     2 - Don't prompt and don't go to the next folder with unread
>> #         messages
>> user_pref("mailnews.nav_crosses_folders", 0);
>>
>> (or chose 2 if you do not want to automatically go to next folder with
>> unread messages)
>>

> Does the following link help you?
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/tips#beh_nextunread

Yes, definitely!  I searched for that file and never found it.

    user.js

This is the additional preferences file for Thunderbird and is located
in your profile folder
<http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#profile>. The file
*does not exist* by default, so you need to create it before you can
start adding your preferences.

Thanks for the help.

BobG