q re network stuffs & FC5

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 11 04:24:15 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>

>> for the two access points located in this motel building.  There is no
>> possibility of a connection until I can convince wlan0 that the fscking
>> key is off or open.  That SEEMS like the next step in this little dance
>> unless someone more experienced than I can see something else wrong above.
>>

> maybe try...
>
> iwconfig wlan0 key off
>
> iwconfig wlan0
>
> And see what the results are.....
>
> FYI, I'm making (un)-educated guesses since I don't have any experience
> with wireless on Linux.

I've found a genuine BUG in this case, it can't be called a snilmerg by
any stretch of the imagination.  By stracing an ifup wlan0, I found that
regardless of the status of the 'KEY' in the ifcfg-wlan0 file, IF the
keys-wlan0 file is present, it will open and apply the key from that file.
So I've mv'd it to keez-wlan0 for the time being, and while that doesn't
allow a connection, it at least no longer overrides the setting in the
ifcfg-wlan0 file.

Now I'm going to go back and see why it is that I can apply the
'iwconfig wlan0 essid "MountainHost"' and its ignored, and this IS set
in the ifcfg-wlan0 file also, but regardless, an iwconfig wlan0 says its
off/any, and which you clipped from the reply.

Frankly, its no damned wonder we can't make this stuff work when its so
thoroughly hosed from the gitgo.  The authors very carefully give us a
config file, and then just as carefully ignores the SOB.  Here I am,
doing the million monkeys scene, and theres a hungry leapard that just
ate the only monkey that *might* have gotten it right.  That light at
the end of the tunnel?  Its a bullet train coming this way, and I fail
to see the humor in it at all.

Don't get me wrong Ed, I appreciate the help, any and all of it, cause
it pushes me to find yet another screwup in a script.  But after a
while, the headache really is from beating it on the wall in frustration.

--
Cheers, Gene