I had high hopes for FC5, damn...

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu May 11 10:17:41 UTC 2006

> > > How do you control which of those is loaded when you boot a new
> > > client?  I'd like to do that at the client side - and have a
> > > timeout/default to load the ltsp thin client instead of an
> > > installer.
> > >

> > Simple: You create a configuration menu
> > under /tftpboot/pxlinux.cfg/default (And a boot message file
> > in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/boot.msg).
> > Once configured, much like lilo, the user can select which kernel (and
> > kernel configuration) he/she wants to load.
> > http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php#config
> >

> Thanks - but it looks like everything has to be on one server
> for this to work.  I was hoping to let the menu select from
> several servers for the actual kernel/initrd load so they
> could be maintained separately.  Did I miss something or is
> that not possible?

I've had a DHCP running on one machine and tftp-server and NFS running
on a second machine.
The /tftpboot (and kernels; around 10-20MB for ~5 configurations) must
sit on the same machine as the tftp-server service... beyond that,
everything is can be scattered around the network. (ISO images, NFS,
DHCP, etc)

Gilboa