Good Bye FC5

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu May 11 21:05:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-05 at 15:22 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I think you are missing the point of what I want.  I want to
> install a new remote machine and have all of it's programs
> available from my desktop without knowing ahead of time what
> is actually installed there.  If a new program is installed
> on that machine, I want it to show up in the remotely-executed
> menu like it does if you log in there.  X is designed to let
> anything run remotely. I don't see why the menu button should
> be an exception - someone would really have to go out of their
> way to break it - but I don't know how to invoke it by itself.

That would be awesome. You could see in an instant what's installed on
each machine, click on the app in menu, and then have it displayed on
your local box.

I think this would have to be a combo of remote X and network aware
Gnome menu, configured to send it's configuration to a central
workstation.  You would probably also have to throw in ssh keys for
passwordless logins, or export displays.  I'd prefer the ssh key method.

I'm not sure how useful it would be for the community at large, but I do
know that it would make some tasks much easier.

I'm not a programmer, otherwise I'd give this a shot.  So, who's up for
it? :)

Les, it might be a good idea to add this to bugzilla as a RFE.

Regards,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu