Good Bye FC5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 12 00:16:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 16:05, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> > X is designed to let
> > anything run remotely. I don't see why the menu button should
> > be an exception - someone would really have to go out of their
> > way to break it - but I don't know how to invoke it by itself.
>
> That would be awesome. You could see in an instant what's installed on
> each machine, click on the app in menu, and then have it displayed on
> your local box.
>
> I think this would have to be a combo of remote X and network aware
> Gnome menu, configured to send it's configuration to a central
> workstation.

X is natively network-aware.  Someone would have really had to
go out of their way to make something *not* work the way
I want.   As I mentioned, you can come close by dragging the
launchers onto the desktop then running nautilus to start
them.

>  You would probably also have to throw in ssh keys for
> passwordless logins, or export displays.  I'd prefer the ssh key method.

Good designs don't need special cases. There are already a number
of ways to get X to display where you want and any new program
started by an existing one will inherit the display if it needs
to open a new window.

> I'm not sure how useful it would be for the community at large, but I do
> know that it would make some tasks much easier.
>
> I'm not a programmer, otherwise I'd give this a shot.  So, who's up for
> it? :)
>
> Les, it might be a good idea to add this to bugzilla as a RFE.

It may be that it already works if I just knew the name of
the thing that displays the menu.  Or if I could get nautilus
to see the menu structure without dragging it onto the desktop
in a layout like a Mac's application folder.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com