fc5: install everything?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 12 09:13:50 UTC 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 22:43, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> I like the way Mandriva does this - they automatically set up source
> that uses the install media, and is smart enough to ask that you
> insert the media when it needs it. It also tends to use the CD/DVD
> instead of going to the net when both are there. From what I have
> seen, Yum tends to go to the Internet rather then uses the CD/DVD,
> and I have not had it ask for it even though I did set it up as a
> repo...

What is *really* neat about the Mandriva system is that while the default is
to set the CD/DVD as the primary search, it is simple to change the order to
net if you prefer it.

You simply can't assume that everyone, everywhere, has broadband access,
though it seems to be increasingly common that this is assumed.

Anne