Empty boot.log

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Fri May 12 13:50:52 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 19:30 -0300, John DeDourek wrote:
>
>>Clarification:
>>
>>You can either:
>>-- boot and then immediately type
>>    /sbin/dmesg
>

> There have been several references to /sbin/dmesg.  THIS DOES NOT EXIST.
>
> If you run the command 'which dmesg' you will find that it is
> actually /bin/dmesg, and any user can use that utility by simply typing
> 'dmesg' at the command line.

Ah yes.  Apologies.  Sloppy work on my part.  Thanks for the correction.

I had put just "dmesg" as the command line in the posting, but then
changed it before sending to use the
full path name because the thread seemed confused between the
use of the command line "/bin/dmesg"  (correct this time) which must
be done soon after boot to examine boot messages, and the examination
of the file /var/log/dmesg, that can be done anytime before the next
boot.

You are right to say that I should have been more careful when
making that change.