Sound Recording Program

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri May 12 15:33:38 UTC 2006

"Ali Helmy" <alihelmy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey mates, Anyone know of a good program that I can use to record
> sounds from the microphone into a file? I don't really care much about
> the file itself, just that it is in a readable format later, such as
> .wav or .mpg or any other good option... Thank you
> -- Cheers, A. Helmy

I've been using audactity to digitize my collection of vinyl LPs (same
idea: analog sound input to sound card).  The good news is that it lets
you edit whatever you record.  The bad news is that the raw file is huge
although you can easily save it as .ogg to end up with something a lot
smaller or .wav if you want lossless.  It should just be a matter of
plugging the microphone into the correct jack on your sound card, firing
up audacity and hitting the record button.  I don't know if there are
any apps that let you compress the stream on the fly.

Cheers,
Dave