Finally getting rid of Windows (almost)

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri May 12 19:05:53 UTC 2006

> OT but could you provide a quick-start guide to VMware. I have the
> player rpm. I assume that I need the server if I want to install
> WinXP?? I have a licensed copy of WinXP. I cannot quite get a handle
> on this.

Just download the VMWare server beta. I did mine on a Windows machine. I
then created a virtual machine using my licensed Windows XP. I installed
VMWare player on my fc5 machine, and you'll also need to run this:
http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz

I then copied the Virtual Machine over to my linux box and opened it
with vmplayer. I did have to massage some settings in the vmx file to
get usb, sound, and the cdrom to work. I just googled for that
information.

HTH,
James