pm-hibernate resume fails with spinlock BUG ?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 12 20:00:34 UTC 2006

Of course.

First, I assume you are trying to get the nvidia driving working with
suspend/hibernate ?

If so, the first thing you need to do is use nvidia agp module, instead of
agpgart. To do this you need to

1. boot with the kernel option agp=off (FC builds the agpgart module into the
kernel)
2. add

     Option      "NvAgp" "1"

to your xorg.conf

Once you have this, check you are using the correct agp module with

[root at localhost X11]# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver:          NVIDIA
AGP Rate:        4x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Disabled

The driver should say NVIDIA

Once you have done this, you system should suspend (at least, for me it did).
However, you may have problems on resume in that the screen stays blank. A
work around to this, suggested to me via the nvidia forum was to
edit /etc/pm/functions-nvidia to comment out the call to /usr/sbin/vbetool
post in resume_video()

resume_video()
{
(
###     /usr/sbin/vbetool post
        /usr/sbin/vbetool dpms on
        /usr/sbin/vbetool vbestate restore < /var/run/vbestate
) >/dev/null 2>&1
}

For me, this was enough. However, one thing which does seem clear about
suspend is everyone has different experiences. I found the nvidia forum quite
useful. i.e. go here

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

and search the forums for "suspend". This gives a few useful threads to read
(maybe you already have...)

Chris